Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fantastic Plastic Machine

There was a time when I was very anti-digital music. When I was in Japan and I started seeing people with their little mp3 players, I thought it would never last. "People will never let go of the physical manifestation of music," I said to myself. But only a few short years later, I'd be lost without my iPod, and I buy the majority of my music online. It's a time saver, and definitely a space saver. (Remember all the CDs lining the staircase of my house in Japan?)
As I've stated, I'm not a fan of pirating music or file sharing, and even though I don't engage in it, I sometimes still reap the benefits. Case in point: the Yeah Yeah Yeahs announced a few weeks ago their new album, "It's Blitz!" would be released in April. Well, due to some unethical SOB, the album was leaked early, so they decided to formally release the album digitally. I had already pre-ordered it on iTunes, so when I woke up this morning and found an e-mail telling me it was ready, it totally made my day.
I'll still probably buy the actual CD when it comes out next month because there are certain bands (including the YYYs) I feel the need to support in every way possible. This includes the physical manifestation of their music.

No comments: